System Evaluation and Optimization
Starpoint Properties manages two multi-story commercial office towers that were built in the 1970’s. At the time they took over, the two towers were suffering from a variety of deferred maintenance issues related to the central HVAC system. Previous changes in ownership and tenant turnover had left the facility to operate with a “run to failure” approach.
A system evaluation by BMI revealed that one of the facility’s two 100-ton chillers was cycling on and off much too frequently; at least 1-2 times per hour. This was causing unnecessary wear and damage to the unit, as well as excessive energy consumption. As the new owners of the property worked to improve the appearance and performance of the towers, they looked to BMI for a solution.
BMI’s technicians performed comprehensive maintenance and in-depth troubleshooting, identifying several neglected issues which they were able to repair. A fresh air economizer that hadn’t been used for several years was restored, offering energy savings and greener operations.
In the three years following the completion of this project, Starpoint Properties has experienced no unplanned system failures or downtime.
Determine the root cause of the 100-ton chiller’s malfunction, and restore to proper operating condition.
- Complete OEM service with additional testing, inspection and troubleshooting.
- Repair and restoration of fresh air economizer.
- Improvements to chiller controls and sequencing through installation of Optimal Start system.
- By using cool outside air, compressors were staying off until at least 11:00 am each day.
- Electricity costs dropped by nearly 15% even though occupancy and overall use of the buildings had increased.