Chiller Replacement & Energy Reduction Solution
Ano-Tech Metal Finishing’s daily operations revolved around a single 100-ton chiller that was essential to their anodizing and metal treatment process.
But Ano-Tech’s chiller was antiquated, and approximately 50% oversized for their current operations. This was causing the system to start-and-stop at a dangerous frequency; causing severe wear and tear on the unit. The customer couldn’t afford that mechanical risk, as all operations would come to a screeching halt should the unit fail.
Early discussions with their utility provider revealed that Ano-Tech may be eligible for an equipment rebate if they could meet the stringent energy reduction guidelines. BMI worked directly with Ano-Tech and the utility company to quantify current energy consumption, design a replacement chiller system to meet all specifications, and calculate the new system’s loads and energy requirements in varying conditions.
Over 80% of the new system’s cost was covered by the utility incentive program, resulting from the design and engineering work of BMI. In addition, the new chiller offers flexible staging capabilities, allowing the customer to “ramp-up” as needed to cover daily production.
Design a replacement process chiller system to hit substantial energy reduction targets, and implement the solution with little to no impact on production.
- Professional design and energy calculations to meet the needs of all parties.
- Replace 100-ton with energy-efficient 45-ton unit; with difficult demolition and extensive piping.
- Partner with equipment manufacturer’s representative following installation to complete a full factory start-up and inspection.
- 80% of the project cost was covered by the utility rebate program.
- Following the utility program’s completion, customer will continue to benefit from energy savings of over 44,000 kWh per year.
- Zero impact to production by coordinating a flexible installation schedule.